Monday, October 1, 2012

GF Shoestring book review

I have often pored over the delicious-looking photos on the glutenfreeonashoestring blog looking for baking inspiration. At first I was a little put off by the references to branded flour mixes (all American brands) and the advertising, but there's also info on how to approximate these mixes yourself and actually the book just suggests you use a generic plain GF flour and xanthum gum.

I have the Kindle version of the book so no mouth watering photos, but the staple recipes are sound.  I love the beginning chapters about how to get organised and prepare doughs ahead to freeze/refrigerate so that you can make a quick pizza, pasta or cookie batch mid week.  Essential tips when you have impatient little mouths to feed mid-week and not much time to devote to mid-week dinners.

There's also lots of advice on how to save money whilst cooking gluten-free,as the title suggests, and most of it is  also relevant for a UK audience.

I think the most impressive things I've made so far are crispy pizza bases which can be picked up and eaten like a regular pizza and light fluffy dinner rolls.  The tips on making GF bread rise are especially good and handy if you don't have a bread maker (most GF cookbooks only cater for breadmaker owners!).  Finally I have managed to make bread rolls I would happily share with my dinner guests and it's nice to have the house filled with the smell of freshly baked bread again...

My only criticism is that the recipes are a bit waffly/verbose and the ingredients aren't necessarily listed in the order you use them in the recipe.  That said, it is useful in some recipes to have extra info.about the texture you're aiming for, but most recipes could be more succinct.

So check out the blog, try some free recipes and if you like them, I recommend the book.