Monday, April 30, 2012

Better bread techniques?

Nicole Hun's Glutenfreeonashoestring recipe blog has some promising looking bread recipes I'm going to give a  try.  The Japanese Milk Bread recipe uses a water roux to make it thick enough to be a dough rather than a batter before cooking. There are even  Croissant and Puff Pastry recipes!

My only gripes other than all the advertising is that most of the recipes use rather a lot of xanthum gum and starchy unwholegrain flours.  I know this is because the high starch content makes baked goods fluffier, but I prefer to add some wholegrain/beany flours to increase fibre and protein, and reduce the glycaemic index. I try not to use more than 1/2 tsp xanthum as it can give a bitter taste and make things rather rubbery in texture. Also a lot of coeliacs I've spoken to on message boards have developed an intolerance to it, so think it's best to go easy on it...I don't want ANOTHER allergy!!

The Sandwich Bread recipe is the only one that looks like it uses a more wholesome mix of flours, but honestly any bread you need to toast before eating I don't think you can class as suitable for making sandwiches...I use this kind of bread for breakfast/dinner only...still, will give it a try!