Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pie

This week I made some little gluten free pies in my silicone muffin molds. I was really happy with the pastry which was a bit experimental. I added gram flour for it's binding properties and ground almonds to soften the pastry. It doesn't brown much, but you could always glaze it with beaten egg before baking.



2 cups GF plain flour/rice flour
1/2 cup chick pea flour
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthum

1 cup marg.

1 egg, beaten with approx. 1/4 cup water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and rub in the marg. Add the egg and water and knead until well combined. If it is crumbly add a little more water - if it then gets sticky add a little more flour.

You should have a soft dough that can be rolled. I find it falls apart more easily than wheat dough, so I roll it out on a silicone baking sheet with a silicone rolling pin, dusted with corn flour.

Roll out the dough and using cookie cutters, cut out a large circle to press into the base of each muffin mould and a smaller circle to use for the top of each pie.