Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gluten Free Gravy

Gravy is one of the things most people freak out about when they first go gluten free.  There are some powdered mixes that are gf and lactose free but a lot are not very nice and why bother when it's so easy to make yourself!

Try it.  Hopefully you'll be a convert too!

Pour the meat juices of your roast into a saucepan and add a gf stock cube (I use Kallo) and about a pint of hot water.  Heat gently. Next add 3 tsp of potato starch to half a cup of water and mix well.  Pour the starchy water into the gravy and stir, heating through until it goes clear and thickens. Add herbs (I usually use marjoram), salt and pepper to taste.

Note: I always freeze any leftovers in individual portions for when I have sausages and mash.

Note: If you can't find potato flour in your usual supermarket (I think tesco stock it), try an asian store.